Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Special Time of Day


Every morning [except Sunday], I accompany Tia Mi or 'Auntie', our cook, to Panissima. This is the padaria, bakery, where she purchases freshly baked rolls for breakfast. I usually buy something to add to the coffee and rolls. Today I bought a coffee cake for R$1.99 which converts to about US79 cents. The students are overjoyed and cries of 'obrigado' ring out.

On the way to the bakery we converse in that international language of mixed Portuguese, Spanish and gestures. We talk about our families mostly: mine in Connecticut and hers here and in Italy. This morning I learned that she had worked in Connecticut as a household helper; what a small world. The conversation is light but bridges two cultures.

She is a wonderful woman and reminds me of my Aunt Kiki who brought me up in my early childhood in Hartford. But now the ages are reversed; she is a lot younger than me. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment