Tuesday, March 17, 2009

JAMI sunset

Last evening.
Belo Horizonte means beautiful horizon. This is that view.

Looking out over the city, the lights disappear with only the glory of the sunset to be seen. Calm sets in, today's classes are over. Supper is finished, showers are taken, homework is being completed. The staff has all gone home. Students begin to congregate in the dining hall, wandering in, talking softly, praise songs are playing on the stereo.

Getting up enough courage to ask a question in English, we start to talk. This is the core of my existence; the reason for my mission. Communication is open and flows freely. Culture and language problems disappear. Everyone chips in to keep the conversation ongoing. We stay up late knowing that tomorrow will be another difficult day but this is so important. This is where you can posit that personal question without fear.

Praise the Lord!

This morning I gave the Message at Devotionals. I spoke about Life´s Journey: Roadblocks and Detours. The talk was based on the past four years of my life; three volunteering at JAMI. I used the following passages:

Lamentations 3:19
I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall.
Isaiah 43:18-19
Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
Psalm 30:11
You have turned my mouurning into joyful dancing. You have taken away the clothes of mourning and clothed with joy.

The message was simultaneously translated into Portuguese by Missionary Ann Borquist.

No comments:

Post a Comment