Friday, March 27, 2009

JAMI mornings

Every morning we start the day with fresh rolls from the bakery up the street and the best Brazilian coffee. As soon as the bell rings, everyone gathers in the dining hall. Someone is appointed to say Grace and then the day begins.

I usually walk up to the bakery, Paníssima, with our cook [we call her Tia Mi (Auntie) but her full name is Mircia Vitoa Rosa] early in the morning to get the freshest rolls ever. She has a method to get the best: knock on the little window to let the baker know we are there and he pushes out a couple dozen of the most newly-baked. No buying an hour old roll for her! This morning´s rolls came to R$3.80 [less than $2.00!] I bought a coconut sponge cake to add to the breakfast. It cost R$2 but he couldn´t change my R$20 so gave it to me for R$1 [about 85 cents].

The coffee is delicious, hot and strong. I even use sugar here in Brazil and hot milk; the best way to go. The cups are so tiny that I try to get a few for that caffeine rush. That will keep me going until lunch time. Sometimes there is a piece of fruit to supplement breakfast or someone will share their stash of fresh cheese. Anyway this is quite different from breakfast at home.

Today I was able to share some apples and carambolas [star apples] that were in my weekly fruit basket. The students were in charge of the meal so the bread was yesterday's but toasted in a waffle iron tasted very good. Especiallly with the good coffee!

This will probably be my last blog onsite from JAMI. The computers have been down because of the rain and connection problems. I will tidy up the entries and embed pictures when I get home at the end of the month.

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading about my short term volunteer mission here in Brazil. Being able to share this venture has been very important to me.
God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment