Sunday, March 29, 2009

Reflections...

My Volunteer Mission:
@ JAMI in Belo Horizonte, Brazil


After three years one would expect things to be the same. Some were and some weren’t. Getting to JAMI is always a challenge as modes of transportation change. The first year, I scheduled a layover in São Paulo; the second year a transfer in that airport and the third year a direct flight from Miami. This year was the easiest.

My living arrangements had not changed from last year; I had the same apartment just off the dining room. This is a great room with direct access to meals and classes. A fan, this year, was a welcomed addition. The shower was now enclosed with glass doors, a ‘shower box’ in Portuguese. A bowl of fresh fruit welcomed me and was again filled for the second week. I was honored by such hospitality.

The students, only five in number this year, were motivated and eager to learn English. They were all at distinct and differing levels of language proficiency. Classes at JAMI are intensive to say the least. The students are in class at least three hours a day with additional assignments, activities and tutoring sessions. My job was to assist the two missionaries, Bruce and Ann Borquist. They were in control of all the academic language instruction. I, as a volunteer, worked with them in classes, prepared materials, led activities and worked with individual students. At night, after the staff went home, I was involved with the students in their daily assignments, devotional preparation, cultural questions and pronunciation problems.

Devotionals were held each morning. They included Praise and Worship music, Bible readings, group prayers and a devotional message. The message was given in English while being translated into Portuguese. I gave the devotional message twice, once each week. My messages emphasized the need to learn English, the new language, and the problems one faces during this process. The first week, I spoke about ‘roadblocks and detours’ on the highway to success. The second week, I focused on the GPS, an external device, to guide your trip and the internal GPS [God’s Positioning System] which we all have to guide us.

Food and customs were two aspects of my stay that taught me a lot. Being able to ‘fit in’ to a new culture is very important in a group setting. What to eat, when to pray, how to comport oneself during different periods of the day, what water to drink, when to explain, when to let the student figure it out – these questions and many more can make or break your stay. Group prayer is individually vocalized; ‘clamor’ for Jesus. Breakfast is only a roll and coffee. Lunch is the big meal of the day; main course is limited but amount unspoken. There are two periods of meditation daily and enforced. Everyone washes ones own dishes in cold water. Sanitary facilities are not what we are used to. So in order to be integral part of the community, you need to change!

Looking back on the three years, I see all the mistakes I have made, remember all my new friends, appreciate what I have here, miss the joyful music and the vibrant prayer, understand myself better and feel the need to go further in yet a different setting. I am already looking forward to my next mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment