Friday, March 27, 2009

JAMI: my going away party + departure



Yesterday afternoon [Thursday] I was told that I wasn't part of the afternoon activity, so I managed to get away from campus [thanks to Bruce Borquist] for a while. When we got back, the dining room was decorated in black and white and everyone was wearing black and white, also. These are, of course, the only colors I wear so this was a great tribute to me. The students sang several of my favorite praise songs, read a passage from the Bible and gave a few speeches. They had spent the whole afternoon decorating and cooking. A delicious fish pastel was the dish of the evening and was certainly a labor of love; layers and layers of fish, vegetables, cheese and pastry. There was also a huge chocolate cake. This was a great time.

On Friday late afternoon we all left for the airport in the new VW Kombi; this was the maiden voyage. Using every experience for an English lesson, I went through check-in and then reported the process back to the students [lots of wh-questions]. I was early to get through the gate entry so we browsed around the terminal. The Belo Horizonte International Terminal [CNF] is great and very user friendly. At last it was time to go through security to the gate. I waited in the lounge and had one last pao de quijo [cheese bread/roll]. The flight was great; short and sweet and only took 7 hours to get to Miami. Immigration and Customs were a breeze and there was a taxi line so didn't have to wait at all. Arrived at sister and brother-in-law's house in Miami Shores at 5:00 AM local time.

I am close to home; God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment