Thursday, September 24, 2009

a simple memory...



This is the town of Manaca, Santí Spiritu, Cuba where I bought the 'campesino' shirt I wanted to wear for the Recognition Dinner on Sunday at CBC. It has gotten so cold here it's definitely not anything like Cuba. So maybe I can wear it for the slideshow presentation I plan to do later.

I rode a 1940's steam train from Iznaga to reach the small town of Manaca. The train used to bring workers from Iznaga to work in the sugar cane fields. This simple short-sleeved white shirt made here of local 'linen' with wooden buttons cost 6 CUP [$7.20]. Jokingly I was told it was made of washed rice sack material with lots of starch. It has laundered beautifully and embodies so many of my memories of rural Cuba: pristine, honest and pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment